Purpose of the Competition
The writing competition aims to inspire students’ interest in reading and writing, showcasing their literary talents. It encourages students to engage in independent, emotionally rich, and creative writing, using words to demonstrate their individual style and express thoughts and feelings.
Students from Grade 1 to Grade 12 are eligible for individual or collaborative writing. Collaborative works can involve up to three co-authors and/or illustrators.
- Submitted works should be complete pieces such as picture books, novels, poetry, prose, scripts, etc. All submissions must be illustrated either by the author or with a collaborator.
- Word count requirements:
G1-3: 100 words and above,
G4-5: 300 words and above,
G6-9: 1000 words and above,
G10-12: 1500 words and above.
- Both Chinese and English creations are acceptable. Each creator (or group) can invite a mentor for guidance, including in-school teachers, parents, or external writing mentors. Mentors should agree to the mentorship and schedule regular meetings with their mentee. If a mentor is already working with a mentee, the second mentee should apply to another mentor.
- Competition public email address:
For initial drafts, please send them to your mentor’s email; final drafts should be sent to the competition’s public email address.
- For students: Each school division will have the following award setup: one Gold Medal, two Silver Medals, and three Bronze Medals and several individual awards.
- For teachers: “Outstanding Mentor” awards will be given to several selected mentors.
In addition, all selected works will receive school recommendations and have the chance to be printed and published in-school or in relevant magazines.
- Winning students will receive a trophy, and their works will be printed and displayed in the respective division’s Learning Resource Centre (LRC).
- “Outstanding Mentor” teachers will receive a mentoring award.
We wish all students a fulfilling and rewarding experience as they boldly enter the world of creative writing and illustrating!